Maharashtra Natural Gas Limited (MNGL), a City Gas Distribution entity, is a joint venture of two maharatna PSUs, GAIL (India) Limited and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) with equity participation from Government of Maharashtra through MIDC and Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL). MNGL started its journey in the year 2006 under the directives of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Govt. of India.
MNGL has been authorized by Petroleum & Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) to Lay, Build, Operate & Expand City Gas Distribution Project in Pune & Pimpri-Chinchwad city including adjoining areas of Hinjewadi, Chakan & Talegaon.
MNGL, under 9th CGD Bidding round of PNGRB has secured following new geographical areas:
- Valsad (except areas already authorized), Dhule & Nashik Districts in the states of Maharashtra & Gujarat
- Sindhudurg District in Maharashtra
- Ramanagara District in Karnataka
Main business objectives of the company are as under :-
- To provide clean, environment friendly green fuel as an alternative to the conventional auto fuels like Petrol and Diesel and
- To provide safe, convenient, and reliable piped natural gas to its customers in the domestic, commercial, and industrial sectors.
As a City Gas Distribution entity, MNGL has stayed true to its objectives of providing clean, environment friendly green fuel – i.e., PNG which caters the domestic, commercial, industrial & CNG which caters automotive sector, contributing large share of the society.